Marvel Comics Introducing a Muslim Girl Superhero

indigo

Siasat.pk - Blogger
[h=2]Mighty, Muslim and Leaping Off the Page[/h][h=1]Marvel Comics Introducing a Muslim Girl Superhero[/h] [h=6]By GEORGE GENE GUSTINES[/h] [h=6]Published: November 5, 2013[/h] With most superheroes, when you take away the colorful costume, mask and cape, what you find underneath is a white man. But not always. In February, as part of a continuing effort to diversify its offerings, Marvel Comics will begin a series whose lead character, Kamala Khan, is a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City.

Enlarge This Image

marvel-image-articleInline.jpg

[h=6]Marvel[/h] Kamala Khan is a teenage Muslim girl living in Jersey City.

No exploding planet, death of a relative or irradiated spider led to Kamalas creation. Her genesis began more mundanely, in a conversation between Sana Amanat and Steve Wacker, two editors at Marvel. I was telling him some crazy anecdote about my childhood, growing up as a Muslim-American, Ms. Amanat said. He found it hilarious. Ms. Amanat and Mr. Wacker noted the dearth of female superhero series and, even more so, of comics with cultural specificity.
When they told G. Willow Wilson, an author, comic book writer and convert to Islam, about their idea, she was eager to come on board as the series writer. Any time you do something like this, it is a bit of a risk, Ms. Wilson said. Youre trying to bring the audience on board and they are used to seeing something else in the pages of a comic book.
Kamala, whose family is from Pakistan, has devotedly followed the career of the blond, blue-eyed Carol Danvers, who now goes by Captain Marvel, a name she inherited from a male hero. When Kamala discovers her powers, including the ability to change shape, she takes on the code name Ms. Marvel what Carol called herself when she began her superhero career.

Captain Marvel represents an ideal that Kamala pines for, Ms. Wilson said. Shes strong, beautiful and doesnt have any of the baggage of being Pakistani and different.

Ms. Amanat said, Its also sort of like when I was a little girl and wanted to be Tiffani-Amber Thiessen, from Saved by the Bell.
Kamala will face struggles outside her own head, including conflicts close to home. Her brother is extremely conservative, Ms. Amanat said. Her mom is paranoid that shes going to touch a boy and get pregnant. Her father wants her to concentrate on her studies and become a doctor. Next to those challenges, fighting supervillains may be a respite.
The creative team is braced for all possible reactions. I do expect some negativity, Ms. Amanat said, not only from people who are anti-Muslim, but people who are Muslim and might want the character portrayed in a particular light.
But this is not evangelism, Ms. Wilson said. It was really important for me to portray Kamala as someone who is struggling with her faith. The series, Ms. Wilson said, would deal with how familial and religious edicts mesh with super-heroics, which can require rules to be broken.
Marvels slate of titles with female or minority leads includes an X-Men series spotlighting its women and Mighty Avengers, whose roster includes many nonwhite heroes. Next year two more female characters will get series: She-Hulk and Elektra.

But the quest for cultural diversity in comics is not always successful. The market can be unwelcoming to new characters and attempts at inclusion can seem like tokenism when not handled well. Then there are the firestorms: In September at DC Comics, the writers of Batwoman, announced that they were leaving the series because of editorial interference, including an edict that would prohibit the lesbian title character from marrying. Dan DiDio, the co-publisher of DC Comics, said the decision was about keeping true to the mission of the Batman characters, who have sacrificed their self-interests for the greater good. They shouldnt have happy personal lives, Mr. DiDio told fans at the Baltimore Comic-Con.

In 2011, when Marvel announced that Miles Morales, a black Hispanic teenager, would take on the alter ego of Spider-Man as part of an alternative take on the character, there was an uproar by those who thought that Peter Parker, white and angst-ridden, had been replaced. (He wasnt. Miles is part of a separate series that offers fresh takes on Marvel characters.)
The most important fan assessment, though, comes later and is easier to quantify. Fans respond with their dollars, said Axel Alonso, the editor in chief of Marvel Entertainment, who thinks Miles has helped bring new readers to comics. When you see Spider-Man strip down his mask and he looks like you, you are more inspired to pick up that book. The September issue of Miless series sold around 32,000 copies. The more traditional version sold around 80,000 copies, though Peter Parker is seemingly dead and Doctor Octopus is acting as Spider-Man.

As for Kamala, Ms. Wilson said the series was about the universal experience of all American teenagers, feeling kind of isolated and finding what they are. Though here, she adds, that happens through the lens of being a Muslim-American with superpowers

lurker

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
Kamala Khan.. Kamal hai yaar. I thought they'd make her Malalarine Like Wolverine. :P

Imranpak

That half naked cartoon must be her! Welcome to America's idea of a Muslim super heroine! I much prefer Burkha Avenger.

RiazHaq

Senator (1k+ posts)
US Comic Giant to Launch Pakistani-American Female Superhero

http://www.riazhaq.com/2013/11/marvel-launches-pakistani-american-girl.html

The new Ms. Marvels real name is Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old Muslim Pakistani-American girl from Jersey City, New Jersey. Kamala has all of her opportunities in front her and she is loaded with potential, but her parents high expectations come with tons of pressure, says Marvel's press release. When Kamala suddenly gets powers that give her the opportunity to be just like her idol, Captain Marvel, it challenges the very core of her conservative values.

Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel is the first comic book character from Marvel Entertainment who is both female and Muslim. It is part of the American comic giant's efforts to reflect a growing diversity among its readers.

The new Ms. Marvel series is mainly the work of two women: G. Willow Wilson, a convert to Islam who created the character, and Sana Amanat who edits it.

Here's how Wilson describes the main character of the comic: "Islam is both an essential part of her identity and something she struggles mightily with. She's not a poster girl for the religion, or some kind of token minority. She does not cover her hair most American Muslim women don'tand she's going through a rebellious phase. She wants to go to parties and stay out past 9 PM and feel normal. Yet at the same time, she feels the need to defend her family and their beliefs".

Ms. Wilson says the series is about the universal experience of all American teenagers, feeling kind of isolated and finding what they are. Though here, she told New York Times, that happens through the lens of being a Muslim-American with superpowers.

Elaborating on the superhero character, series editor Sana Amanat said the following in an interview published onMarvel.com website: "As much as Islam is a part of Kamalas identity, this book isnt preaching about religion or the Islamic faith in particular. Its about what happens when you struggle with the labels imposed on you, and how that forms your sense of self. Its a struggle weve all faced in one form or another, and isnt just particular to Kamala because shes Muslim. Her religion is just one aspect of the many ways she defines herself".

The Marvel series is set for launch in February, 2014. Earlier this year, Pakistan's GeoTV launched Burka Avenger. Its superhero is a mild mannered school-teacher who fights feudal villains and terrorists getting in the way of girls' education. Burka Avenger series is inspired by the story of Malala Yousufzai, a Pakistan teenage school-girl who miraculously survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban in Swat valley last year. Malala has since become an international icon for girls' education worldwide. The United Nations declared Malala's 16th birthday this year on July 12 as Malala Day to focus on girls' education.

http://www.riazhaq.com/2013/11/marvel-launches-pakistani-american-girl.html

Re: US Comic Giant to Launch Pakistani-American Female Superhero

lol....not bad unless some one takes control and turns kamala a biatch in near future to distort mulims impression.By the wa this sounds like a copycat idea from Geo news burqa avengers and name is too similar to Malala = Kamala...
Anywas its sumething to be proud of unless.....

tasbee00

Councller (250+ posts)
I challenge any muslim girl living in America to infiltrate the U.S. media as she did ? Why cause its impossible w/o uncle Sam's approval get it eh?

Last edited:

lurker

That half naked cartoon must be her! Welcome to America's idea of a Muslim super heroine! I much prefer Burkha Avenger.
Hahah you remind of the old Japanese culture in which geisha girls used to show their wrists to men, just to give them a thrill. I always thought becharay yeh adami, kitne tarsay howe hain ke zara si wrist dekh kar hi ***** ho jatay hain. Now I see you calling that girl a Half-naked girl. You must be pretty much just like those guys as well. That girl is "Half-naked" in your definition. lol. hahaha. I told you it's brilliant comedy.

Imranpak

Hahah you remind of the old Japanese culture in which geisha girls used to show their wrists to men, just to give them a thrill. I always thought becharay yeh adami, kitne tarsay howe hain ke zara si wrist dekh kar hi ***** ho jatay hain. Now I see you calling that girl a Half-naked girl. You must be pretty much just like those guys as well. That girl is "Half-naked" in your definition. lol. hahaha. I told you it's brilliant comedy.

I see you are now following me on every thread obviously hurt over my recent bashing!!!(cry)(cry) You are going to have to respond calmly and in good English for me to reply to your point, whatever that is(clap) Roman Urdu does not do it for me;) You don't intimidate me one bit but keep trying. Many others have left this site due to me...you could be next. The only comedian here is you making a fool of himself.

Last edited: