Do Pakistanis living abroad pretend as Indians?

A.G.Uddin

Minister (2k+ posts)
For the past few years, I have been coming across news articles and posts mostly by Indians that Pakistanis living abroad especially in Western nations hide information about their true origins simply due to bad reputation of Pakistan in the local media over there; and often pretend as Indians in order to feel safe and adapted. I have been living in a Toronto suburb for over a decade and have never seen a single Pakistani doing that or asking me to do so. Yes, sometimes few people think that I am an Indian simply due to my skin colour but thats just normal due to our cultural and physical similarities with many Indians and I just inform them that No I am actually from Pakistan. In college, I have had mates from India, Pakistan, Serbia, China, Middle East and few other nations. And not even once anyone verbally or physically attacked me due to my faith or national origin. Even my little brother doesnt feel scared while telling about his Pakistani origins at school or elsewhere even though just like me he never lived in Pakistan.

On different Indian forums and news websites I came across posts/comments where they say that they have seen Pakistanis posing as Indians and not using the word Pakistan on their restaurants and shops, since Pakistan is considered as epicentre of terrorism worldwide. There was once a thread where a user living in USA (not sure though) said that at workplace this Pakistani colleague of him requested him not to tell anyone else that hes from Pakistan. And many among us know the amount of venom, mockery and hate is showered on Pakistan in Times Of Indias forums and comments.

Even on Express Tribunes website I have seen Indian readers writing that Pakistanis are so ashamed of their reputation after 9/11, various acts of terrorism afterwards and ultimately Abbottabad raid, that they dont tell that theyre from Pakistan and pose as Indians. After Faisal Shehzads incident in 2010, prejudiced face of TOI came at surface when they wrote a disrespectful article against Pakistan telling the same theory of Pakistanis posing as Indians in USA, Canada, UK and elsewhere. In the city of Mississauga, where I live, I can easily see different shops where the name Pakistan is mentioned along with our national flag but not even once they got attacked. On ETs website certain Pakistanis did post comments in reply to taunts by Indian readers. But the clip of Najam Sethi is there to watch. YouTube is still banned in Pakistan so theres no point if any member here can see the clip as my questions are for fellow overseas Pakistanis especially those living in United States. Is Mr. Sethi just doing some BS or is there a truth in all this?

Kindly use some mature tone and dont turn this thread into an India bashing or Hindu bashing one. I have got nothing against Indian culture as I myself have got a number of Indian friends and colleagues. So kindly reply in a proper way

zzzindagi

Minister (2k+ posts)
no its not true. We pakistanis openly celebrate our festivals and events.
Specially when there is a match between india and pakistan..

on Youtube. Check the T20 world cup celebration by pakistani on London streets.
We are the only people who celebrate our indepedence day in UK.
You will never see any indian carrying indian flag on 15th august.

Last edited:

sanu key

MPA (400+ posts)
[h=2]Massive backlash against India: Why do Australians hate Indians?[/h]

Many Indians have started calling themselves Latinos, Malaysians, or Pakistanis. They are usually too dark to pass off as the Pakistanis or Latinos, so they are immediately discovered. Their dietary habits of not eating meat gives them away in a few seconds. Also the red dot on their forehead is a dead giveaway. Almost every Indian student has a harrowing tale of being bullied, threatened, and cat called at. Many Indians have begun to hide they Rakhi bands on heir hands so that people do not know that they are from India.

bushjaved

Councller (250+ posts)
This is totally wrong. I am a student and a teacher. I proudly present myself as a Pakistani , I am highly appreciated for my status. Sometimes people are scared but not ashamed, and that is different story.

CA 5 O

Senator (1k+ posts)
Njama sethi sathya geya hai aur koi baat nahin.

Yahan ke Log thoray ignorant hain. Woh pakistani, indians, bangali, afghani waghera ko east indians ya middle eastern keh ker aik hi tokri mein daal dete hain, apni sahoolat ke liye. Unko difference samjha do aur bata do ke aap Pakistan se ho tou woh assani se samjh jaate hain.

Main jitne Pakistaniyo ko jaanta hoon, sab fakhar se apne aap ko Pakistani kehte hain. Mein tou IK ke interviews waghera bhi dihha deta hoon.

Mein ne kisi Pakistani ko apne aap ko indian batatey nahin suna. Woh tou aur ziada sharmindagi ki bat hai.

Aijazahmed

Minister (2k+ posts)
This is absolutely wrong. In my 20 years of living in western world, never saw a single pakistani hiding it's identity as Pakistani. Even my 16 years of son who completely brought up in Canada, and only four times visited Pakistan in his life, always carries Pak flag in his vault. When asked in his school, he chose to write a project about pakistani universities.
This is true with every Pakistani, doesn't matter if we have, as Pakistanis, differences of political opinions among us, but still we are Pakistanis and we are proud of it.

pakistani786

Minister (2k+ posts)
I agree with the above comments , IT IS NOT TRUE THAT WE CALL OUR SELVES INDIANS.

Main jitne Pakistaniyo ko jaanta hoon, sab fakhar se apne aap ko Pakistani kehte hain.

AGAR KOI HUMAIN INDIAN KEHAY BHEE TO HUM US KO CORRECT KERTAY HAIN KE BAHI HUMAIN DOUBARA INDIAN MAT KEHNA.

QADIANITRUTH

Senator (1k+ posts)
This is not true at all. I have yet to see a single Pakistani who pretends to be Indian. To be honest, we Pakistanis feel insulted when some people mistake us as Indians and we immediately clarify that.

Pakistanis living abroad are well respected and they are contributing well to the societies they live in.

MUmmah1

MPA (400+ posts)
No matter what circumstances, I always said and will InshaAllah always say that I am a Pakistani. This is the same attitude of Pakistanis all around globe. Najm Sethi may not be wrong, we might have some cowards among us.

only_truths

Minister (2k+ posts)
I do not care whether Pakistanis identifies as Indians are not. But the truth is that in business circles they identify as "hum" South Asians - meaning common Indian cultural bond.

values

Chief Minister (5k+ posts)
some pakistani were saying that they are indians as they had danger to their life after 9/11 but now its changed.I am in USA and 14 august Independence Day as we celebrate in New York that is symbol.That huge patriotic gathering even not celebrated now in Pakistan.

naeemk

MPA (400+ posts)
I never thought of it in last 13 years of my life Toronto, and had no serious issue ever, just a bullshit, being called indian I would rather choose to come back Pakistan.

Rommel

Senator (1k+ posts)
ویسے یہ سیٹھی بھی تو ہندو ہی لگتا ہے
1339655016najam-sethi.jpg

ویسے سیٹھی کے مذہب کا کسی کو پتا ہے؟

Last edited by a moderator:

lurker

I used to live in the US. And some Cab drivers used to identify themselves as Indians to stem off a backlash from their customers. Sometimes even on the phone, some operators used to say they were indians. Unlike Canada and the UK, the US is a pretty big market. Public opinion of Pakistan is really not that good in the US. So I think that's the reason they do it. And most cabbies just don't want to deal with the next set of questions they are gonna get if they tell their customers they are Pakistani. :P

However sometimes its a catch 22 situation. Even if you do tell them you are indian, then too they will get all racist and may start asking you about all the societal issues in India. But most Indians are really out going and love to integrate with American society. They goto bars, clubs and all sorts of parties and social events. While Pakistanis like to refrain from such things. Therefore Pakistanis don't usually assimilate that well.

Darik

MPA (400+ posts)
Sorry NS I don't agree with you, I am living in Toronto since 1969. Frequently I go to Pakistan. I spernt my winter in Pakitan for 6 months. This is a routine. So I know exactly what is happening in USA, Canada, also in Pakistan. Believe me I never come across a single Pakistani who hide his identity. There a Canadian Comedian Peter Russal who jokes ' If you ask some East Indian are you from India, he will be annoyed and reply no, no, I am from Pakistan. Canada is a multicultural country. As amtter of fact there is no Canadian, every one here called themself by their country of origin i.e. Irish Canadin, German Canadian, Indian Canadian, Pakistani Canadian. I don't blame NS a person who is a visiter can have that impression. After 9/11 for few years some people used to do that, but they always hate to do that. My 3 sons live in USA one is Boston, he is a docter, one in Verginia IT engineer and one in Denver Networking engineer, they all are very social and friendly, when I go there I always have chance to meet all kind of people. Asians, Europeans, South American, I never had that kind of experiece as NS described. I don't want to brag. I am an activist I have lived an active life. I always attend seminars and rallies for good cause. Being a proud Pakistani I wanted to educate people give some idia, to the record straight. I kown West is no a pradise, we have day to day problems, I always talk about my country, with all the short commings. We have many things to be proud, our values family, and our social sytem.

mnalam49

Minister (2k+ posts)
Mera apna tajriba last 10 year in uk mein yahi hai keh aksar log khud ko indian khelwana passand kartey hain khas kar jab kisi larki sey dosti lagani ho kisi sey flirting karni ho to apni identity ziada tar chupatey hain keon keh yahan par larkeon key nazar mein pakistanion ka image kafi kharab hai aur yeh practice ziada tar young larkey kartey hian...kisi club mein chaley jao....woh sharab pee rahey hotey hain ...us sey pocho to khud ko indian batatey hain jabkeh woh pakistani hotey hain....baz awqat aam logon sey miltey hoey bhi khud ko indian ya kisi aur mulk ka kehtey hain

Imranpak

It's the media that fails to distinguish between Indians and Pakistanis due to "India" being synonymous with the British Raj they see us all in the same light! Most food from the subcontinent is advertised as Indian food not because we want for it to but the aforementioned reason again takes effect.

Kebabs and Biryani were introduced by Muslim's where as Samosa's were first sold at Lahore railway station. This is why many Pakistanis are trying to reclaim their lost heritage that Indian's are wrongly credited for.

Anyone who has attended a Pakistani Cricket match at Lords or Edgbaston will tell you that the love for Pakistaniat is in our blood but we have no control if others lump us all together. Indian's in the west are also often seen as "Pakis" much to their annoyance so it works both ways.

I have never known any Pakistani that calls himself an Indian so it's all down to experience.

Last edited:

Aliza

MPA (400+ posts)
Njama sethi sathya geya hai aur koi baat nahin.

Yahan ke Log thoray ignorant hain. Woh pakistani, indians, bangali, afghani waghera ko east indians ya middle eastern keh ker aik hi tokri mein daal dete hain, apni sahoolat ke liye. Unko difference samjha do aur bata do ke aap Pakistan se ho tou woh assani se samjh jaate hain.

Main jitne Pakistaniyo ko jaanta hoon, sab fakhar se apne aap ko Pakistani kehte hain. Mein tou IK ke interviews waghera bhi dihha deta hoon.

Mein ne kisi Pakistani ko apne aap ko indian batatey nahin suna. Woh tou aur ziada sharmindagi ki bat hai.
Beshak apnay theek furmaya! Hum aik Musalman, PAK, AZAD, Zinda aur Bahadur quom thay, hein, aur raheingay INSHAA ALLAH!!!
(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)(clap)